Thursday, March 13, 2008

mega-zines!

Yeah, so I'm a little behind. By the way, this is the only type of situation where I will be mentioned in the same sentence as the phrase "little behind".

I LOVE magazines...the photography, the articles, the 50 different types of squats in "Self" that I'll never do (but I tear out and save in a file anyway). However, I have a SLIGHT backlog of unread goodies at the moment. I need to put aside a day or 12 to do nothing but get through these puppies. I may not do the squats, but my forearms will be gigantic from all the page turning and tearing!



I have an equally large pile of magazines that I have made it through, and they're waiting patiently in a cardboard box for me to find a place that takes them for recycling. I'm surprised at how difficult it is to find a local spot to drop them. Anybody know where I can release the mother-load of Digital Photo Pro, Consumer Reports, and various fragrant magazines? Years ago, I started referring to fashion magazines as "fragrant magazines" because of all the perfume samples. Generally there are several different samples in one magazine which can either create a "grandma has obviously lost her ability to smell how strong that is" scent or a disturbing hybrid that smells like a flower-and-tunafish sandwich. I'd gladly throw down $85 an ounce for that! Men will be throwing their video game controllers aside just to get near me.

5 comments:

widdiwoo said...

Are we the same person?
The Dekalb Farmer's Market used to take magazines, I assume they still do. I now have curbside recycling which is sweeeet.

stacey said...

Ooh, thanks, Widdi!

We have a black bin for curbside pick-up, but the Dekalb Co sanitation site says that we need a blue bin. Now where did I leave that blue paint...

Unknown said...

Our Achilles heel is catalogs. We get a few magazines - Newsweek, Entertainment Weekly, Runner's World, the Braves' Choptalk. But each day, we're barraged with at least 3-5 catalogs it seems, and they sit around for eons. Then, I FINALLY recycle them and two days later I hear Wendy say, "Have you seen that gardening catalog?" Oops.

Yes, the Farmers Market does take magazines - and my mom always warned me to be sure to cut my name and address off of each one before I left it to be recycled, or someone would find it and decide to come steal from or kill me.

I think she saw "The Jerk" too many times, with M. Emmett Walsh picking Navin Johnson out of the phone book for his kill of the day.

Oops, gotta run. Someone's pounding on my door...

heighlo. said...

I would love roll around in those magazines for about a week! You can call Dekalb and request the proper bin - but there is a good chance they will ignore your request. It took me about 6 calls and 9 years for the City of ATL to bring my new bin. You can recycle them in my bin if you need to do so...but i would most likely take most of them into the house and love them for a week or so and then i would let them go.

ablebody said...

...from my cold, dead hands!